HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Would you like to see or download 4k UHD encodes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Yes
75%
 75% [ 3 ]
No
25%
 25% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

AuthorMessage
DarkDream787
Jounin
Jounin

PostSubject: Would you like to see or download 4k UHD encodes?   Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:59 pm

I would imagine the file size on these 4K UltraHD videos would be pretty large for decent encodes. I have not tried it yet, but I would estimate no less than 3GB+ for each episode to get a decent encode. (I would have to make one to give an accurate guess) I already see enough people complaining about file sizes and wanting mini/smaller MKV files.

Would you like to see 4K Ultra HD Encodes? Would you actually download those if they were offered?

Do you see any need to even make 4K UHD encodes when 1080p suffices for now?

What are your thoughts on this?

Like the quality of my anime encodes and want more of my work?
You can find all of my work here!

List of my encodings and release plans (Archive)
http://blackstaranime.forum.com.bz/t158-darkdream-high-quality-anime-archive-future-release-plans
Back to top Go down
BlitzEpidemic
Peasant
Peasant

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see or download 4k UHD encodes?   Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:14 pm

4K is freakishly unnatural, I have no interest in it for live-action. I did see one 15 minute CG cartoon, it was alright, but extremely bloated and not worth it imo. To me 4k+ would only be watchable for nature and space documentaries, which would be breathtaking.

There may be interest in a few very short anime OVA in 4k.
Back to top Go down
ChaoXide
Genin
Genin

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see or download 4k UHD encodes?   Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:01 am

4K is more like 50-80 GB a movie encode and like 20-25 GB an episode.
Which is why some people are wanting to prematurely push HEVC to the forefront to bring sizes down.

They've got quite a bit of 4K content on private trackers.

Shoot 3GB is more like 720p range for live-action episodes (take in mind these are 40-50 minute episodes).
I've even got plenty of 1080p encoded movies over 20GB a piece sitting in my archives. =)

As far as anime goes, there is only a single anime I know of that got an official 4K release and that was the latest Gundam Thunderbolt 4KBD release.
But no one has encoded it in 4K afaik.

Jounin

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see or download 4k UHD encodes?   Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:38 pm

So h.265 codec is getting better now and its worth switching over to at this point?

http://blackstaranime.forum.com.bz/t158-darkdream-high-quality-anime-archive-future-release-plans
Back to top Go down
ChaoXide
Genin
Genin

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see or download 4k UHD encodes?   Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:23 am

DarkDream787 wrote:
So h.265 codec is getting better now and its worth switching over to at this point?
It's getting there, but it's still not to the point that I'd personally switch to it. Although there has been a couple series I've downloaded HEVC encodes of.

Jounin

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see or download 4k UHD encodes?   Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:25 pm

So whats the main reasons you personally wouldn't switch to it? I haven't kept up to date on h.265 much because I didn't have much interest when it came out due to the issues it had and compatibility wasn't as good.

Back to top Go down
Draximum
Genin
Genin

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see or download 4k UHD encodes?   Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:51 pm

Certain movies perhaps, but I don't even have a 4K HDTV yet and my computer monitor is only 1080p.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you like to see or download 4k UHD encodes?   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BlackStar Anime :: Social Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: